Reciba las últimas noticias sobre temas interesantes con NewsHub. Instalar ahora.

Transferred out of Tobago

31 de diciembre de 2014 06:30 AM
9 0

News day / The transfer will take effect from January 9 and will see Reyes now assuming duties as the ACP in charge of Community Relations.

His replacement will be Assistant Commissioner of Police Earl Gonzales who is currently in charge of Community Relations.

Newsday understands that the decision to transfer Reyes was taken prior to a police executive conference which was held at the Police Administration Building. Reyes, who was present at the meeting was informed of the decision to be transferred back to Trinidad. It will be the shortest stint for any senior officer assigned to a Division.

Yesterday, officers of the Tobago Division welcomed the move saying they were not comfortable with Reyes overseeing them and added that they believe it was the right decision. Yesterday President of the Police Social and Welfare Association Inspector Anand Ramesar said: "The decision to move Reyes appears to be very confusing and inconsistent with the practice which exists in the police service. History will show that persons who are being investigated in matters that are less serious continue to be on suspension for several years, so this particular move demonstrates a level of uneven administration and is injurious to the morale of police officers.

"Members of the TTPS have matured to the point where they accept the consequences of their actions and this must be matched by an administration whereby there is similarity in the manner in which officers are handled. In light of this decision I am now calling on the acting Commissioner of Police to review the suspension of other officers and to recall them because the Association is aware that there are several officers who have been on suspension for several years,"

Newsday understands a team of officers investigating the alleged incident between Reyes and two Caribbean Airlines flight attendants have already interviewed the flight attendants as well as other eye witnesses. Reyes is yet to be interviewed.

It is alleged at about 4 pm on December 18, Reyes was on a flight which was taxiing on the runway in Piarco, when he was asked to switch off his phone by an attendant. He allegedly became angry and made a racist remark. He was spoken to again and when he again refused to switch off his phone, the pilot was alerted and Reyes was then asked to be removed from the aircraft.

The pilot returned to the boarding gate and Reyes was escorted out of the area. He was interviewed and allowed to leave. At about 12.05 am the following day the two attendants and the pilot gave statements to officers at the Piarco Police Station.

Acting Commissioner Stephen Williams then appointed Deputy Commissioner Glen Hackett to investigate the incident, as well as a possible breach of civil aviation rules.


Compartir en las redes sociales:

Comentarios - 0